Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I'm good...how about Hugh?

Contrary to what was told, I am not serving in Lordsburg, NM. I am in fact, now serving near Tucson, AZ. Oro Valley, AZ to be exact. My new companion is Elder Hugh, he's been in this area for 6 months now. Both of us are very intent on being exactly obedient to the spirit of the law. He's always smiling and having a good time, so I think we'll get along great. I've been extremely blessed with my companions so far, so I'll thank Heavenly Father for that and pray for continued blessings in my assignments for the future. haha. 

Tucson reminds me a lot of Henderson. Dry, hot, and very populated. I'm not in the center of the city, it's more of a suburb. So I feel right at home. I am currently writing to you from a Pep Boys shop, where we are sitting in the lobby waiting for our car to be repaired because it decided to die on us a few days ago. Luckily, someone stopped when our car gave out, and he gave us a lift home.  We thanked him by sharing our beliefs of eternal families and gave him a pamphlet on Temples and Families with our phone number written on it. His name is Tyler. He works at the O'Reilly auto parts store, he just got engaged, has a few kids at home, and will be moving soon... COINCIDENCE? (I think not). I'm positive the Lord intended to have our car die on us so we could meet him. Even though I'm less than enthused to be sitting in Pep Boys on my P-day...it was a good contact. I digress. 

I would like to share a great scripture I came across the other day and relay some insights I had on it. 

D&C 82: 3-4

   "For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation.
   Ye call upon my name for revelations, and I give them unto you; and inasmuch as ye keep not my sayings, which I give unto you, ye become transgressors; and justice and judgment are the penalty which is affixed unto my law."

As members of the true and living gospel, much is expected of us. It wasn't by mere luck we were born into God's true and everlasting church in the latter days. We were required, by divine design, to use our benefit to bring others unto the gospel. He has asked us to spread the gospel to every kindred, tongue, and people. Full time missionaries are NOT the only ones with a calling to spread His message. More importantly, members are to bring their families and friends to the realization of the Restored church. Let me refer you to a talk by Hartman Rector Jr. In the 1979 April General Conference titled, "Following Christ to Victory."

Read and ponder the message and consider the responsibility we have because we are members of Christ's church on the earth today. 

"Obedience brings blessings, exact obedience brings miracles. Realize how insignificant we are, and yet how much love God has for each and every one of us. If we do as He asks, he is bound by his word to help us. Not because he has to, because he wants to. Give God something to work with. We are promised that if we have only a desire to grow, He can work with it. But, if we give Satan room to infest our hearts, he too can work on us. I know if we give Satan even an inch, he will take it a mile. Protect the cracks in your hearts, fill them with love and compassion of your fellow sons and daughters of God. Don't let pride break down the foundation of your faith, and as always, press forward. 

Also, I added a few pictures from this week's activities. 

1. A cool sign we saw outside an investigators home (I'm so proud 😉 Mormons are welcome)
2. A butterfly I caught one night after returning to our apartment. 
3. My Grandpa's Super Retro missionary tag!  I think its like 100 years old. I'll be wearing this from now on.

I do have a new address, so if you wish to send me a letter of sorts, the mission office address is 939 W Chapalla Dr. Tucson, AZ 85704

It may not get to me extremely fast, but if you send it there it will get to me. 

Love, Elder West





No comments:

Post a Comment