Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Flanking like a pro

Yo yo yo, Elder West in the house! Reporting in from Silver City New Mexico, aka the Land of Enchantment aka the "coolest" place in the mission (literally). Looking back on this week, it's been a long one (and yet went by so quickly) at the same time. Elder Jackson is officially home, so we are back to a two person Elder companionship... Boo... But now I get to drive the truck....yaaay! 

We've seen a new found energy here. Elder Edwards and I are closer, now that it's just the two of us, and man is that kid a hoot. There's so much I don't know about him; but the more I learn about him, the more I appreciate him and respect his judgment. What a willing missionary and someone I can look towards for guidance and support.  He is truly a wonderful person. ...enough of my missionary crush on my companion, here's the skinny from my experiences this past week. 

Some of our investigators are starting to show promise. Namely a little family of a mother and three daughters. Because of a faithful member, they are coming to church consistently, meeting with the missionaries (us), and are being fellow-shipped by the ward. What more could you ask for! There are some details we have to fine tune, but the foundation and support is there. Also, we got to play basketball this week at the church with some members, less actives, and non-members. We contacted them a little and hopefully we will see some success through our efforts on and off the court (see what I did there). 

Every week is made better when I am wrestling some cattle to the ground. My numbers now are up to about 50 or so cows... give or take. I'm getting pretty good at it too. The other Elders are new to it, so Brother McDonald has had me "coach" them how to flank properly. It was rough at first, but eventually they started to get the hang of it. A few times I had to jump in and pick up the cow off the ground and wrestle it down to the ground so we could get into position. Not the safest thing, but I know what I'm doing now. According to Bro McD, "the other Elders have a tough time gettin' them hefers' to the floor, so Elder West needs to step in and take the reigns sometimes." 

People are moving forward in the faith and I'm consistently in awe of the diligence of some of the members that we have here in Silver City. Brother Darnell for example, the older man with the Model T vintage car, has been doing great lately! He stopped drinking tea and coffee, he hasn't been drinking beer for the past month, and he came to all 3 hours of church this Sunday! Yay! All of this so he can go to the temple. And sometime soon he hopes to get the work done for his wife and himself, so they can become sealed for time and all eternity. Brad Gutierrez (baptized last month) is extremely involved in church, and will be getting a church calling soon enough. Bob Sroka, our recent baptism will be receiving the priesthood in two weeks. All good things. 

I'm happy I could leave some impression in this part of the Lords vineyard. I've been a part of many miracles, and I've seen our Heavenly Father's guiding hand lead me in my studies and my interactions with my fellow men. My goal for my mission, (for my life really) is to be able to have a sure faith in Jesus Christ. Enough faith where I would be able and willing to give up my life. I don't know when I'll ever reach that point, but as I testify so often, it is through our willingness to give up everything that we gain salvation. Thank you all for your influence on me and my journey. 

D&C 98:14-15
"Therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy. For if ye will not abide in my covenant ye are not worthy of me."

Alma 26:30
"And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."

Do all that you can, and Christ will make up the rest. 

Love, Elder West

No comments:

Post a Comment