Friday, October 27, 2017

It's fun to serve...at the YMCA

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be done unto you; and, if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation."

D&C 11: 8

This passage from Joseph Smith's revelation to his brother, Hyrum, has hit me for some reason on a more personal level. I imagine how Hyrum must have had great faith and belief in his younger brother to be able to bear many of the same torments Joseph experienced. I've been reading the book "Revelations in Context" found in the LDS Gospel Library, and I'm beginning to realize how much I didn't know about the Doctrine and Covenants. The history surrounding the revelations are remarkable, especially how D&C Chapter 4 became scripture; which BTW everyone in our mission recites on a weekly basis. 

We are always looking for opportunities to serve in our area.  This week we had the opportunity to help with the local YMCA and their annual Trunk-or-Treat event. It was long, about 5 hours long! But great to be involved. We were asked to run the bouncy houses, which proved to be more of a "Mad House" than just being bouncy!  But we got a cool t-shirt out of it, so in the end it was all worth it.  Just kidding.

As I have reflected on my mission experiences so far, I have come to better realize all of great blessings which have come my way. I am being reminded all the time how imperfect I am, and I have seen more flaws I have yet to to still overcome...which is a gift indeed. :)  With my recent change in companions, I have also a better understanding of patience and how to deal with others. Another passage that hit me this week was Alma 8: 8-10. When I insert my name and replace the proper pronouns into this scripture it hits a little closer to home.

"And it came to pass that when (Elder West) had come to the city of (Tucson) he began to preach the word of God unto them. 

Now Satan had gotten great hold upon the hearts of the people of the city of (Tucson); therefore they would not hearken unto the words of (Elder West).

Nevertheless (Elder West) labored much in the spirit, wrestling with God in mighty prayer, that he would pour out his Spirit upon the people who were in the city; that he would also grant that he might baptize them unto repentance."

This area has been difficult for me; we have seen little success in our efforts.  I know baptismal success is not all what missionary work is about, but never-the-less it is disappointing to me. I know God has a plan, and I trust in His divine timing; even thou it is often much different from my own. Patience is an application of Faith, and Patience and Long Suffering is a principle of Charity. By applying more patience and charity I've learned that sometimes we just have to wait to see what others may become, and remember all of us are striving to become more like Jesus.

Love, Elder West

Here is a pic from our YMCA event.  Not everyone in the picture are missionaries; you can notice the missionary badges on a few of us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment