Monday, March 20, 2017

YE Haw! from New Mexico

YE Haw! This week has been a hoot to say the least! New Mexico is treating me well and the people are hilarious; they never cease to amaze me. Elder VanSweden and I had a tough go last week, not many people to teach or see.  But this week is pretty full, and speaking of full... we had a double dinner the other night. Our first scheduled dinner was good and filling.  After the dinner we went and did service for a non-member and as a thank you for helping her, she took us out to eat!  Fortunately I don't think I'll be gaining any weight, because I either sweat it off from the heat, or work it off from all the service we get to do. 

The horses at the horse rescue are still doing good, we didn't get to scoop up their crap last week, dang-it!  Instead they asked E. VanSweden and I to dig a ditch for a new water line on Tuesday and Thursday. I feel like a cowboy working on everyone's ranch. And I have truly been converted to country music... well... maybe not fully. 

For the first time being in my assigned area, I visited the town of Mimbres, NM.  We met with a new family for the first time. Mimbres is about 30 minutes away so we don't visit or track there too often. But we will be going there every week now because we are teaching two kids, Jose 10 and Trenton 8, who are going to be baptized soon!  We invited them to be baptized and they said they wanted to be apart of our Church! Yey!  

Mimbres is awesome. At first I thought Silver City was backwards and "Old Time", but Mimbres is even crazier.  It is where everyone from New Mexico goes to escape the cops, hide out, or get away from civilization. So I can say it's pretty much a trailer-park of a city. On Sunday we met a less active couple after church. The husband is as red neck as you can get. Not a "Steer Redneck" like in Texas, but a full-on "Gold Panning man", who owns dozens of machines to shift through dirt and look for gold. And the crazy thing is, that he actually finds quite a bit of it. He's real smart, but by the looks of his house and his long burly beard, you'd never know. Next P-Day he said he would "take us up to da' hills, and go panning," so maybe I can make a little bit of money our here, haha. I love him, he's a great guy. Hopefully we can get him back to church if we befriend him, but in the mean time we are going to enjoy each others' company. And I do enjoy it, there's never a dull moment with Brother Bailey!

I'll make sure to send pics of this week so y'all aren't bored to death of my emails. Well, wish me luck on my next adventure out in the old New Mexico!

Love, Elder West



No comments:

Post a Comment