Monday, March 13, 2017

First Week - Silver City, NM

Hey all! 
Sorry for my tardiness in sending my weekly email, the past two weeks have been cray-cray! The MTC was good, my district was awesome, testimonies were born, tears shed, but I digress. Me, Elders Lawrence and Wallis left early on Monday morning to get a bus to get on a train to get onto TRAX then to get to the airport! We got to call our families for a little bit at the airport. Talking to Macall was amazing, I needed to hear her voice. I miss you Mac and Mo, and I love you two so much.

Anyways, when we got to Tucson, President Passey and his wife were at the bottom of the escalator waiting for us. Our first night, and into the next morning, we spent time with the AP's and other sisters and elders going into Tucson. Then we finally got called to our first area, and guess what?! I am serving in Silver City, New Mexico! I love it here! Most people our here are country folk. The members love us, and we have dinners lined up every night. Because we are in the ranching part of the mission, we have a lot of service opportunities. My favorite is every Tuesday and Thursday, we do service at the Horse Rescue. That's where abused or mistreated horses are taken to be nurtured back to health and loved, and I get to help. We scoop a lot of crap, but helping with the horses is fun too. My trainer Elder VanSweden is awesome, we get along just fine. The other missionaries Elders Hill and Anderson are cool also. 

We had the chance to be ranch hands and burn a ton of weeds in a members crop the other day. We used a propane tank and flame thrower! The flame thrower wasn't big, but it was fun being out there in the sun for four hours burning things, haha! Other than moving dirt and digging holes, that's the highlight of our service this past week. I won't even get started on this crazy drugged out guy we saw at McDonald's, moving on... 

Elder VanSweden and I haven't been able to get in a lot of lessons because either no one answers their door or aren't at the address listed. On Sunday we had 7 hours of church because we cover two wards, and their blocks are back to back. During our second sacrament meeting, a non-active member came in and brought a non member friend. She wanted a blessing and wants to start coming back to church! She was uncomfortable going alone, so she brought her friend with her. He is a strange dude, but we gave him a quick lesson nonetheless. We invited him to be baptized, if he came to know what we said was true, and he said yes! Still a ways to go with him, but we are meeting with the both of them later this week. 

The Lord truly works miracles out here in Silver City. Thursday night we visited a recent convert, Brother Darnell. He's old, and has a lot of questions about the scriptures, so we go over there to help him out. He's in D&C, so you can imagine the questions he had. Luckily he didn't ask a lot about the Apocrypha haha. But after helping him out, he showed us his original Model T! I'll attach some photos, and the one with the three elders in the burning field, it goes Elder VanSweden then Elder Anderson and me. All of y'all better email me, I love hearing from you! Hopefully I'll have a more interesting week to update y'all on!

Love, Elder West




No comments:

Post a Comment