Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Love 💗

A couple of gems from the scriptures:

"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength."
-Isaiah 40:29
"And the rebellious shall be pierced with much sorrow; for their iniquities shall be spoken upon the housetops, and their secret acts shall be revealed." 
-D&C 1:3

"And he has translated the book, even that part which I have commanded him, and AS YOUR LORD AND YOUR GOD LIVETH IT IS TRUE."
-D&C 17:6

Doctrine and Covenants 1:3 has been a scripture that I've remembered most of my life. It has influenced me over my life time as I try to improve. The principle that our sins will be shouted from the rooftops and our secrets will be known to all if we do not repent is frightening! If there is anything disingenuous or "embarrassing" about your past you should put your knees to the ground and figure out how to make restitution for what you have done. I would much rather work out my difficulties in this life and move forward now than have to wait for the day of reckoning when all my hidden works are brought to light and I am ashamed. "Do ye suppose that ye shall dwell with [God] under a consciousness of your guilt? Do ye suppose that ye could be happy to dwell with that Holy Being, when your souls are racked with a consciousness of guilt that ye have ever abused his laws? Behold, I say unto you that ye would be more miserable to dwell with a holy and just God, under a consciousness of your filthiness before him, than ye would to dwell with the damned souls in hell" (Mormon 9:3-4). 

Gratefully, "... the Messiah should be made manifest unto them in the latter days, in the spirit of power, unto the bringing of them out of darkness unto light—yea, out of hidden darkness and out of captivity unto freedom" (2 Nephi 3:5). "...I desire that ye should let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance" (Alma 42:29). "Therefore, blessed are they who will repent and hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; for these are they that shall be saved" (Helaman 12:23). "And whosoever will hearken unto my words and repenteth and is baptized, the same shall be saved. Search the prophets, for many there be that testify of these things" (3Nephi 23:5). 

It only makes sense to repent now. Don't be so ignorant as to believe that you will live tomorrow! "And now, my brethren, I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety EVEN UNTO PAIN, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance" (Alma 13:27).
The Book of Mormon shows us that the gospel of Jesus Christ is simple, yet also has expansive reach. These profound truths are precious. In President Nelsons address in the October 2017 General Conference, he spoke of a king that when confronted with this added insight in the Book of Mormon he exclaimed, “You could have given me diamonds or rubies, but nothing is more precious to me than this additional knowledge about the Lord Jesus Christ.” 

As my time in the mission field is coming to a near close, I've wanted to finish the Book of Mormon one last time before I leave. My current study of the BofM using "Questions of the Soul" has been taking me a long time, I'm only half way through and I started in May! If I continue studying this way I wouldn't be able to finish at that pace! But as the Prophet encouraged the women (men also) in this last conference session to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year, it was an answer to my question. My "study" can resume afterwards, but now is the moment to seek and learn more of the grace and love of Christ and I'm going to read the good book and finish it as our Prophet has asked.

Love is a tough subject for me. I stress and strain myself as I try and recognize my emotions. This internal battle compels me to put up barriers and to desensitize my feelings, to avoid being hurt. The importance to love people in the mission field and especially at home towards my family, friends, and my future companion is critical. I know this. I'm afraid to be beaten, battered, or bruised as I struggle to show my love. I'm still working on how to implement Moroni's admonition to, "perfect love casteth out all fear" (Moroni 8:16). I feel the pure love of Christ at times, for others predominantly. Recently, as my companion and I were sitting in the living room of a man with his three children, or as I voiced a blessing to a struggling daughter of God, or as I "[prayed] continually for [those I care about] by day" ... "mine eyes [watered] my pillow by night, because of them" (2Nephi 33:3) and I have felt unrestrained love. Like Nephi, I I have felt love beyond my own capacity, so much so that I cry because of it. It becomes impossible for me to constrain my emotions that it all comes out in one burst of compassion. I can't help but love people that I get to know and associate with. I know the Lord is helping me with this. He is there by my side, just as much as He is by yours. 

Keep fighting the good fight.
Love,
Elder West


No comments:

Post a Comment