Sunday, July 8, 2018

July 2nd - Enlightenment

"And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. 


"And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name."

"And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ." Acts 5:40-42

When I reflect on the early apostles, I think of how courageous they were in sharing the gospel. They weren't as steadfast and immovable right from the beginning as they were at the end. "Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad." Matt 26:31

This gives me comfort in the fact that I am not a perfect disciple. It's interesting how "disciple" and "discipline" are only different by a couple letters. For us to be true disciples of Jesus Christ we must be disciplined and show self restraint, bridling our passions, facing adversity with calmness, and loving those who despise us (1Cor 13:5, Alma 38:12, D&C 135:4, Matt 5:44). This is not easy, but can be possible through the grace and wisdom of Christ. What a wonderful change it has been for me to want to be disciplined and not kick against the pricks. I don't know where I would be in my progression towards perfection or as a person if I had not come on a mission. 

I learned a lot this week, mainly because our zone had a conference and we had interviews with the president. It's so inspiring to be around so many good people. It's a real blessing to serve the Lord.

Onward and upward

Me and My companion Elder Brown

Love,
Elder West


No comments:

Post a Comment